View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #19
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I probably don't have the same accent that Formy has, because I was born on the West Coast and when I moved to New Brunswick my grade five teacher was horrified at my language and desperately tried to 'improve' me!

And Gal55 comes from a different language background, so that filters into her language (not that she has an accent).

But of course there are regional variations in Canada. Just listen to an Ottawa Valley burry/berry contrast. Or the Newfie squid-jigging accent. Or Cape Breton's, which is full of archaic scots twists. And Quebec has its joual.

Once we were told by Americans that Canadians have less an accent than a lilt. She actually compared it to an Irish accent, which is interesting because when my Western Canadian cousin went to Yorkshire to learn midwifery, she was constantly being asked if she was Irish, even though her surname is decidedly not Irish (but Slavic).

What's interesting about the accents in Canada (and I wonder if this is also true in the US) is that they tend to be regional rather than class-based, as are Brit accents (although joual was initially a working class accent).

The interesting thing about the accents in the movies is, of course, the fact that Kiwi didn't slip in.