View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #33
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange offers a brilliant use of argot or slang in a dystopian context, as did Orwell in 1984 with Newspeak, the official, acronymal pronouncements of Ingsoc. Victor Hugo in Les Miserables uses argot to great effect in the character Gavroche, who actually epitomizes and introduces the slang that other characters of the lower social orders use.
The first two I would agree with; Hugo I can't comment on as I haven't read it in French.

But you raise an interesting point: are you suggesting that dystopian books can be classified as fantasy? I've always rather thought of them more in the SF--science fiction--genre (although I recognise there is also something called "speculative fiction").

And another interesting point: how closely does Tolkien come to dystopian vision? He certainly offers hope, but his orcs could fit in Burgess's book, even with their patois. (Sorry, both of these ruminations are off topic.)

What accents did Shagrat et al have in the movies?