View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 06:28 PM   #19
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill
I think it could easily have been made to work – indeed might make better sense in a way: Frodo's invocation and his resistance helping to drive the Nazgűl away. When you think about it, which is more comical – the Ringwraiths being “turned” by a mystical invocation, or them being so easily torched by Strider?
Read the paragraph before Frodo faints in the book. Aragorn DOES chase the Nazgul away with his torches. What does this imply? That he attacked them with his torches!! Thus Jacskon is being faithful to the book. Yes, it would have been nice to have the Star Queen incantation, but it would have required more exposition (if that's the right word) after the event. As it's a 2.5 hour movie, and we're cutting 'to the chase' here we can't have this - unless you show the hobbits actually journeying another 14 days or so before they reached the Ford..................Now THAT wouldn't work straight after a scene we've just had - So PJ HAD to remove this line - I don't see how it could have fit in otherwise........ so therefore we have the next best, and that's Jackson staying partly faithful to the books and having Aragorn 'frighten' the nazgul off. Indeed, what creature isn't frightened of Fire? - I'd run if I had an annoyed figure brandishing a torch in my face!!!!!!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote