View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Feliandreka
Newly Deceased

Feliandreka has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Did Ulmo know about the Ring?

There are references in the Silmarilion which states that Ulmo never abandoned the Children of Iluvatar and never will. To me that suggests involvement, whether JRRT specifically mentions it in Lord of the Rings or not. But what involvement...again, speculation. Here is how I see it.

Ulmo has power in all waters, again from several references in Silmarilion, and therefore was most likely present at the Gladden Fields where the Ring betrayed Isildur. Being a major magical item (forgive the D&D sounding description of the Ring) which was host to a large portion of Sauron's power, it seems reasonable to me that Ulmo the Valar or one of his Miar minions may have known about it simply by its being in a finger of his domain, Anduin the Great.

Here is another leap of conjecture based on my own faith in Ulmo and his lasting concern for the Children. He knew where Gollum had taken the Ring by virtue of being connected to the underground lake Gollum called home "at the very foundations of the Earth" (there it is again, another reference to Ulmo's power from the Silmarilion) that lake is connected by waterways to Anduin the Great and the Sea. At the time there is no defilement in the Misty Mountains to keep Ulmo out as Morgoth and Sauron were able to do. Goblins have no such power. The only creature capable of that might have been the Balrog but he was many miles to the south in the Mines of Moria.

I support the theory that Gandalf was a recipient of the same visions or visitations which prompted Tuor and other characters to be at the right place at the right time so that great events might come to be. Now, the chosen bearer of the Ring, one Bilbo Baggins who is of a race that is resistant to the Ring's power, could not have found it if Gandalf had not chosen him to be a burglar for the 13 dwarves. Why would anyone pick a hobbit like Bilbo to be a burglar...ok, for obvious reasons. The main reason is that Hobbits are resistant to the Ring's powers of curruption.

Again, there is no proof of this but as a reader of all of Tolkien's works over the course of many decades this seems like an obvious conclusion. I don't need proof, I believe it.
Feliandreka is offline   Reply With Quote