Old 01-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #125
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Númenor
By a few logical conceits I could say that you are accusing me of being Evil, of being the Serpent. Or am I just playing that role right now, on the Barrow-downs, vis-a-vis a Faerie tale?
Are you quite sure that the one is very much different from the other?

As I recall, the rites of most, if not all religions of the ancient world would revolve around, or at least include ceremonies where the priest was understood to assume the role of the god, often by assuming elements of his appearance (i.e. the Anubis mask in the ceremonies to prepare the dead of Egypt for the afterlife), hence to "play the role" of a god is, at a fundamental level, intrisically related to the worship of that god...

...But I kid, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
The reason the Akallabeth seems like an 'attrocity' is that what happens is essentially unfair because Eru is too powerful & its not a fair fight. He shouldn't have done what he did.
No, the Numenoreans should not have done what they did.

Quote:
The Numenoreans basically didn't want to die (who does?) & that's what drove them.
Rejecting the Gift of Men (as always ) and turning away from God. The Tragedy of the Akallabeth.

Quote:
If the Fall of Numenor had been a natural disaster it would have been awe-inspiring & humbling - man brought down by impersonal nature.
If that had been the case, it would merely have been dull.

Quote:
One cannot rationalise the behaviour of Eru & make it equal 'good'.
I would have to disagree.

Quote:
Man trying to tiptoe around an angry Eru & avoid being smited is ultimately pathetic.
That, I think, is essentially the point. Man, whatever the extent of his works, ultimately IS pathetic next to the glory of God.

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote