View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003, 09:35 PM   #69
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

The Saucepan Man:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> What I still don't quite understand is why those who dislike the films or feel that Jackson has "sold out" in some way, or betrayed JRRT's works, cannot just ignore them and get on with enjoying the books. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, I have told you my reason. Here's what I said: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The reason I didn't like it was because my expectations were higher, and TTT fell extremely short of them. And TTT wasn't as good as FotR. And PJ said one of his goals was to make each movie better than the next. So when he says that, I expect TTT to be better, but it wasn't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> and <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> That is one feeling I hate; getting your hopes up and having them shattered. I hate being tricked and decieved like I was with TTT, and even parts of FotR. And, "they want the book on the screen, scene by scene, chapter by chapter.", well that's what I wanted, and I do realize you don't always get what you want. I didn't care that much about The Old Forest, Tom Bombadil, and The Barrow Downs (my favorite part) being left out. Why? Because it wasn't all that important, and it wasn't twisted and transformed, like the did in many parts of TTT film. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>So I had high expectations for TTT, but it didn't reach my expectations. It's dissapointing. And I had my hopes up for a long time, but then they were shattered. I loathe that feeling. But it's just something that really ticks us off. We could ignore it, but I think it is better to discuss it. And one thing that I myself don't quite understand is why does everyone care so much? So what if we hate Arwen in the movies. Let us, we have every right to. And whay can't you just ignore our complaints. If you really thin about it, it's just so simple, in fact, it's easier than posting on why you don't like our complaints or why you can't understand wy we complain. And I am not just talking to The Saucepan Man here, it goes for a lot of people also. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Who cares if some people watch the film and never read the books and think that that is all there is to Tolkien? It's just not one of those things that I lie awake at night thinking about.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>To me, it's disrespect in a sense, but I don't lie awake at night pondering that. I just discuss it here. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> surely people are entitled to come to a thread that is offering a critique of the films and put forward alternative views in support of them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But not in this case. This thread is a one-sided critique on Arwen in the film. It's only supposed to be discussing why people do not like her in the movies, not why you do like her in the movies, and I think that was the point that lindil was trying to get across. If you want to start a thread on why you like her in the movies, by all means go ahead, and I strongly urge that you do. If you see somthing in this thread tht is very debateable and that you strongly disagree with, then start a new thread on it, rather than coming in here and saying why you disagree. Because when you do that, it gets the discussion off track, and then more and more people come in and disrupt the main topic and it is very hard to get back to what was originally being discussed. It's even happening right now as we post. And then if it goes farther, the thread might get closed by the moderator because it has gotten so bad. And that sucks for the person who started teh topic, and for the people who took the time to post insightful points on it. Then it might be continued in a new thread, but then all the points previously made are left in the closed thread. And the thread isn't nearly as productive as the original.<P>Tar-Palantir<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> it is easy to get intimidated by some of these firmly worded, obviously well informed, lengthy, and generally eloquently worded posts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Don't get intimadated by them, and this goes to everyone else. Sometimes it might be a lot to digest, especially when you come in to a thread really late. I usally just take the parts piece by piece as I did in my first post in this thread. But if you feel intimadated, then rise up to the challenge. Sometimes you'll be pleasently surprised. <P>Great post Tar-Palantir, all of it.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Dollars to donuts (remember that phrase Willie? ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I sure do. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> PS- Willie and Lindil - sorry to call you a 'camp', but I think you know what I mean. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's alright, I know what you mean. <P>Oh yeah Tar-Palantir, I agree with 1-6 on the Arwen issue.<p>[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote