View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #280
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Léof had won the race! Gárwine clapped his hands together and shouted out in joy. A great grin spread across his face. He felt jubilant, and not just because his friend has won. There was money to collect!

Gárwine turned from the fence, with eyes set on the red and white pavilion, where wagers were set at all those money-covered tables. He walked through the crowds, bouncing along gleefully towards the pavilion. Not many people were entering, and that made Gárwine happier to know that he had bet against the odds and won. He entered the shady pavilion and strode to the table where the thin man sat.

"I believe you have some money for me," Gárwine said, smiling.

"Ah, yes. Luck was on you're side," said the thin man.

The thin man stood and pushed piles of shining coins across the table with a reluctant sigh. Both Gárwine's eyes and his smile grew wider. So much money! He scooped it up in his hands and dumped it into his pockets. And with a nod of thanks, he walked out of the pavilion, with his pockets considerably heavier.

Gárwine strode over to the racetrack, where he could find Léof. He pushed his way through the crowds and, passing through a gate in the fence, walked onto the racetrack. Crowds of spectators milled around, meeting all the riders, admiring their horses, chatting about the race's outcome, among all sorts of other festive activity. Gárwine dove through the people to find Léof. Gárwine spied him standing beside Æthel. He was shaking hands, smiling even wider than Gárwine, and speaking with the many fans (mostly young maidens, Gárwine noticed) who had approached him to give their congratulations. Gárwine walked up to him, and Léof turned away from his group of admirers for the moment.

"Gárwine, I've won! Did you see me?" said Leof.

"Yes! I was watching," Gárwine said, "And look at all the money you won me!" He dug a hand into a pocket and withdrew a handful of glittering coins. "Haha! I ought to buy you a reward for winning me all this! Amazing race!"