View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 03:45 PM   #32
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Wow!

This thread topic got quite a bit of play! I am just now reading all the fine input posted here. Basicly this question was asked on another website, but with a much more verbose lead in. It wasn't three posts before the author and I were into it. because I was as verbose with a different, and somewhat opposing point of view though i agreed with him on much of it. I basicly cut out the BS and posted the basic question here.

It has been my Christian experience, especially back in the 80s that all magic should be opposed. This included Gandalf in The Hobbit as well as other books. There used to be these big gatheringsd where people would burn their 'satanic' books and records and tapes, and it really left a sour taste in my mouth. Even though some of Tolkien's books went into these fires, he is basicly more accepted in Christian circles these days even though there are some fanatics out there who believe th Christians who buy and read Tolkien have compromised their faith.

Personally I believe that each individual is free to decide these things on their own merit, and should not say what is right or not for others.

Thanks for all the good responses here!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote