View Single Post
Old 02-12-2002, 01:05 AM   #31
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks, I remember thinking about the implications of Gimli's song in that context in a recent reading, too, but I'm going to have to do some looking to see what little hints The Lord of the Rings has about the celestial bodies and the coming or awakening of the various peoples.

Like the Book of Genesis a more metaphorical approach is really the path to truth.

I've often wondered if Hobbits may have awakened with the arising of the Moon, assuming the Silmarillion way, and in that they are close to men but not the same.

As for reddish hair, of course, anything is possible, even with non-fantasy literature. We're just remarking about what was and was not written by the author of this particular fantasy, because it's fun. And rarely did he fail to sometimes lavishly describe the hair color of key Elves and Men.
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.