View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #948
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm not sure if it counts as fantasy, or more of a history fiction genre, or just adventure, or a mix of all of them. I don't know if it's history enough to be one, or myth enough to be another.

Anyways, I would like to recommend to anyone the Merlin trilogy by Mary Stewart (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment). The language is beautiful, and has some of Tolkien's style - just some, but it's rich in its own fashion. Despite the never-ending plots/mysteries/adventures, Stewart leaves plenty room to describe the scenery, the landscape, the people, and everything around. She paces her books well, not rushing ahead with the plot in favour of the abovementioned little details, but not dragging it out too much.