View Single Post
Old 07-15-2004, 01:17 AM   #109
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Hmmmm....for me, I think it would be a matter more of a 'kick in the pants' rather than a choice. I think that, if I were thrown into Middle Earth, I would love some of it and hate some of it. But what in this world are those of you who wish to experience something new trying to get away from? Wouldn't it be awful if you took that with you into Middle Earth and couldn't get back? I think that it would be possible to truly enjoy Middle Earth OR this world if one became a 'different person'. Middle Earth would be a 'kick in the pants,' a call for you to become something different, to experience the new and challenging, to liven up your life. That is available here in this world as well, but I, like Frodo, am getting rather used to being Master of my own Bag End and I think it gets harder and harder to change my life and outlook unless someone or something hits me over the head with it. I think I prefer to wander the backroads and woods and meet up with the Elves and Fairies, rather than being handed the Ring of Power and being told to survive by the seat of my pants. Simply put, even though I am not in Middle Earth, I can see the aspects of it here well enough to enjoy its comforts in my imagination, and I need not be thrust into the Fire to live in Middle Earth. (Although if I were kicked into Middle Earth, I could probably get used to it!)

I sure hope that made sense. It's real late here! Goodnight all!
Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. Anyone think about what it would be like to be all comfortable and complacent, looking forward to a quiet life and suddenly being thrown into a world of danger? Did I ever mention I sometimes identify too closely with Frodo?
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote