View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #615
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
So-- Formy, a question. Is Bergil-- as a man-- merely passingly interested in Indil's future, and ready to turn her safety over to someone else-- or is he passionately devoted to Indil ? I don't mean passionately as Raefindan would be, but as a protector, a helper and rescuer?

To put it another way, would he really really like to kill Tharonwe for what Tharonwe has put Indil through?

I know, turn the other cheek. However (a) that revelation has not entered Middle-Earth quite yet and (b) as a christian I don't believe that's intended when there are completely innocent lives involved, i.e. protecting the innocent is a call on any honest man's life. Indil is utterly innocent. Tharonwe is not. How does Bergil feel about him?
I certainly do see Bergil as a "turn the other cheek" sort. Take a look at his readiness to tussle with Pippin, and look at the family background--Beregond can take a lot on faith, but he'll strike a mortal blow for Faramir.

So, as to his relationship with Indil, Bergil sees himself as responsible for her. He is, in his mind, basically her legal guardian: he found her and took her with him and until and unless her family turns up, he's going to act as such. Being young and a warrior by trade and nature, I imagine he'd gladly strike a violent blow right at Tharonwë. I'm not sure it would be an irrational rage driving him so much as a righteous anger and a very clear sense of justice--which, of course, has been horribly violated.

(As a side-note, it's interesting to consider where this attitude of Bergil's would leave him at the end of the tale, with Indil's family presumably dead. Bergil doesn't exactly have the lifestyle conducive to raising a young girl But that's not really relevant to the moment.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Formy, when you have written, there has been depth worth reading. If the last month as been an anomaly and you promise to post when asked to, that's good enough for me. I think that Helen makes a good point as to Bergil's motivations, especially now that Raefindan has (in appearance) turned traitor.
Then I'll stick around. As far as I know, last month was an internetless anomaly.

On the subject of Raefindan & Bergil, it will certainly be interesting to see what transpires when they meet again.

As regards Ravion--I certainly don't feel I know his character well enough to write him. I know his exterior habits somewhat, but I don't know what makes him tick on the inside.