View Single Post
Old 09-20-2002, 03:02 PM   #46
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Helen's and Cami's post

Cami sat towards the bow of the skiff, watching the shore grow, until it was almost full-size. Then she called to Daisy, and they pulled up the centerboards, lifted the rudders and shifted to the stern so that the skiffs could be beached.

As the hobbrim emerged, still pulling the ropes, a happy chatter commenced. Batta called softly, and on shore, about fifteen more hobbrim emerged from the rocks and sand-dunes. Another call from Batta, and some older children surged forward to care for the boats while the adults and small children came forward to greet the newcomers. Bird, now in little-lady form, gravitated towards the older children, helping them stow the boat, and thinking to herself, this moment belonged to the hobbits and hobbrim. Somehow she wanted to stay in the background.

Standing on the wet sand as the waves still lapped their toes, Batta introduced Azra and Nitir and Daisy to all of the hobbrim on the beach, while behind them they heard Kali's happy greeting over and over. "Hello, Cousin, " he said, and warmly spoke each new name aloud as he clasped hands with the women and the men, and knelt down to look into the eyes of the small children. They welcomed him warmly and happily. Azra smiled, wondering how Kali would remember everybody's name, until she remembered that hobbrim do have good memory. He would remember.

Kali was immersed in his new family, and Daisy wondered if perhaps she should wander over and introduce herself to some of the older children who, with Bird's help, were now stowing the boats. But as she cast another glance at Kali, their eyes met, and he held out his hand.

She came forward, taking his hand as she had so often done on The Lonely Star. "Cousins, " he said, with something in his voice that Daisy couldn't quite place, "This is Daisy. She is my good friend."

She studied him even as he introduced her, by name, to each and every one of his newfound cousins. He did not forget one name. And she wondered at the occasional hint of sadness in his voice. She squeezed his hand tighter, wanting nothing to ruin this time for him, and as she did so, he studied her, and squeezed back.

Two more hobbrim emerged from the mouth of a cave just as Cami walked onto the beach. A young girl came up to her in greeting, "I am Coral. I found your wyrm injured on the shore. We will take you to her now."

The older woman extended a hand in friendship, "And I am Andril, wise woman of my people. I have waited my whole life to meet you and your little sister Azra. I am honored to welcome you among us."
Cami did not even know what to say. The two women embraced and then slipped apart. Andril took her by the hand and led her into the largest cavern.

Once inside, Cami looked in amazement at the silent figure of Angara still asleep. Several hobbbrim were near the wyrm's side, tending to her wounds. Angara lay just at the entrance to the cave, her nose poking out into the sands.

Cami looked at Andril and shook her head, "I don't know why she's here, or what happened. When I left the Star, she was safely sitting at the top of our mast."

Andril explained, "It took a long time, but we managed to get her inside the cave. We pushed and pulled a tiny bit at a time. Then she finally woke up and managed to limp the rest of the way."

A secret smile played itself on Cami's mouth, at the thought of a group of hobbrim pushing and pulling on the giant wyrm as she lay dead in sleep.

Cami sat down intending to stay and guard the wyrm. Andril pulled her away and shook her head. "You should come inside where it's warm. They will tell us if she awakes."

Cami ran her hand over the dragon's shoulder, and then accompanied Andril inside the large cavern hoping for warmth and dryness. There was indeed a small fire, and she and Rose gratefully melted beside it. Not far away, she could hear the soft voice of Kali as he told his story, of how he had been alone, and how his friends from the Lonely Star had rescued him from his loneliness and become his friends, and promised to help him find his family. "They have labored long and hard, and today their work is done, " he said, his voice shaking with emotion. "Today I am with my cousins."

Even as she blinked back her tears, Cami thought, Oh Kali, it is over, and yet it has only just begun. There is yet more to do. And we will all be lucky to make it out of this alive.

Suddenly thinking of Pio and her frequent mysterious references to the West, she added, And may The One watch over us and protect us all.

But she said none of this, and turned to warm her hands by the fire, and let Kali rest in his newfound joy. She noticed that Daisy was still with him. Rose noticed too, and they shared a thoughtful smile.

Helen's post

Andril set several young hobbrim to the task of making Nitir and Azra comfortable. Then she smiled. "I am a Loremaster, and that is my strength; but I am not a cook. I would do you no service if I prepared your food or drink."

Nitir began to politely debate her, but one of the children raced by carrying some seabird eggs, and said, "Mistress Nitir, it is true. She really can burn water."

Nitir, Azra, and Andril shared a good laugh. "The children are quite skilled, and will take good care of your physical needs. And what of your other needs? How can I help you with them?"

Nitir smiled through sudden tears. "You already have, Andril. To hear our old names on your lips means that a dear friend kept a promise."

Andril smiled, and Azra took Nitir's hand and squeezed. "You remember Maura with fondness, I see," Andril replied. "This gladdens my heart."

One of the children brought a cup of some warm brew to Nitir and Azra and Andril, and Andril tasted it carefully. "It's a bit strong today, " she warned them. "Seaweed tea. We are used to it, but you may find it unpleasant."

Nitir sniffed hers, her thoughts elsewhere, and said nothing. Azra took a sip, and grimaced, but took another, and another. She was cold, and the warmth of the bitter drink was welcome.

Andril sipped at hers, and watched Nitir. "Tell me, " she said. "What was he like? All we have are songs."

---------------------------------------------

Sharon's post:

Nitir did not know how to respond. Cautiously, she glanced about. Every eye was filled with trust, evey head craning forward. Within Nitir's heart, a tiny splinter of light gleamed. All her doubts and questions, the sadness of things forgotten, dissolved before its quiet truth. For, whatever she spoke in this circle, whatever tale she told of Maura or the camps, would remain firm till the end of time.

Her people, the hobbits who loved the soil, were soon to lose their memories of the past. Only traces of lore would be left, hidden in their bones. But her cousins in this circle, sheltered within Ulmo's kingdom, would cling to every word and poem. For them, lore was a lifeline of memory. It would console them when their kin were stripped away, as they waited for a distant and unknown task in the shadow of Eru's Mount.

Nitir measured every word before answering. "I can't really tell you what he was like. My own feelings make it hard for me to see him as others might. But I can say this. I loved his gentleness, his caring, his learning, even his laughing ways."

"But there was more than that. I cherished him because of the path he was on. He saw and felt things I could only guess at. And, for some strange reason, he wanted to share that path with me."

Nitir halted, uncertain what more she should say. Then the wise-woman gently asked, "Have you found peace leaving him behind, and a way through to that path he was on?"

She shook her head, "I do not have his gift, but he will never leave me. When someone you love is torn away, there's a part that stays inside you. I try to do the best I can, and think of how he would do things. Yes, sometimes there is pain." An image of Mithadan and Piosenniel entwined on the deck of the Star came unbidden to her mind. "And sometimes, I wonder why this one finds fulfillment, and another must wait. But, mostly, I am grateful for having had his gentle presence."

Andril grasped her fingers and whispered, "For what you have done, for what you do tomorrow, my people thank you." Nitir shook her head, and looked up with a soft smile.

[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]