View Single Post
Old 04-06-2004, 04:51 AM   #233
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Léspheria

After leaving Vanwe and Menecin to get some rest, Léspheria retired to her own room. She slipped off her pack and removing her bow and sword, propping then against the wall next to her bed. The bath that her attendants had filled was now long cold, and as she delicately ran her long fingers across the cold water, she thought of the others at the ford. Her kin who would insure with their immortal lives that the creatures breed in mockery of their people would never breech the sanctuary of the last homely house. The faithful Dúlrain, Rauthain and Amandur, who she knew would also forfeit their lives if it meant the protection of others, just as Maethor’s short life had been forfeit. However, no comfort was there in these thoughts, she wondered over and opened the large glass balcony windows, stepping out on to the ivy laced balcony she rubbed a weary hand across the back of her neck trying to relieve the sudden tightness of her muscles.

Her gaze turned in the direction of the ford and she found herself hoping, no praying that Amandur was still alive and would soon return to her. She suddenly realised that he had been her strength on their journey, a journey that had cause her to question herself something she had never before felt the need to do. Both her kin and her own family had strived to keep her from knowing her link to Naiore, What did they fear? All her life she had been inquisitive, asking many questions. Most of her youth was spent in the vast libraries of Imladris and Lorien, then when she had exhausted both she took to travelling with the rangers and learning their ways and looking for more answers. Even her healing abilities had intrigued and fascinated her at first and she was always willing to try new methods and explore how the body work, but that had ended abruptly! As an apprentice healer, she had found a small bird it was badly injured and very near death, she could feel its pain and work feverently to heal the creature, but everything she tried failed. She could feel the small bird slipping from its mortal bounds, but not peacefully, as she had naively believed all mortals went, but with pain and anguish. No longer able to stand the torment of the creatures suffering she placed her hand on the bird’s small chest and using the healing skills she had been blessed with, she stopped the small-feathered creature’s heart from beating. Even know after so long she remembered how easy it had been and even now, it terrified her as it had then. Is this what they feared, that she too would fall into the inescapable dark path of Naiore or even worse that she would fall to Naiore’s will… like her mother? The sudden realisation made her weak and she held to the balcony for support, suddenly she felt Vulnerable and alone, there was no reminders of all the good she had accomplished in her life, their was no comforting words or bolstering affirmation that all her efforts where for the right reasons, she was alone with her doubt.

Her head slowly lifted and she gazed westward through tear filled eyes, for any sign of the others, for any sign of Amandur. She had been wrong to shut him out, had it not been for his strength, his subtle reassurances and even his love and friendship she might have not even made it this far. She at least owed him the truth of her heart, but even as she thought these words, doubt again caused her to question if her need would endanger his life unnecessarily.

“It is the Ranger?” A voice quietly asked behind her. Surprised that she was no longer alone, she turned. Making to bow quickly as her eyes fell on Lord Celeborn, but he stopped her and lifted her head gently in his hands. “I heard your account and could not help but notice the pause and the heaviness in your voice each time you spoke the ranger’s name.” The elf lord went on sympathetically. Léspheria nodded and then turning back to face the west she whispered softly.

“I do not deny that of late I have not been able to control my feeling for him as I should.”

“As you should” Celeborn frowned, “What is it that you fear? The long dark years after his death spent in perpetual grief and mourning or that he will die and you will not?” he pressed watching her face for the slightest hint of what troubled her mind. At his words she turned, she had not even thought of that eventuality, concerned only with the present. She contemplated his words for and moment then answered thus.

“No, strangely enough I do not fear that eventuality, however I do fear that in revealing my heart I will bring him only pain and suffering.” As truthful as her words were they still stung at her heart and again she turned away.

“Naiore!” Celeborn sighed and a hint of weariness entered his voice. “Ever has the lady of the swan been a thorn in our side, She does not only doom herself with the murder of her kin, but she ruins those she leaves behind, Menecin, Vanwe, your mother. Would you let her too be the ruin of you?” he asked his voice dropping to a mere whisper.

“Yes if it meant that he would be spared!” she replied without hesitation.

“And what then? What would he do? Do you really believe he would do nothing?” Celeborn countered calmly.

She did not need to ponder his words for her heart told her what Amandur would do, “He would go after her alone if need be.” she whispered, lowering her head in resigned affirmation. “Then what am I to do?” she whispered turning as he lay a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Celeborn shook his head sympathetically, “I can not decide for you but this counsel I do offer, If he loves you as much as you do him, Naiore will know it, he has not the ability to hide his feelings, nor do any of the others you travel with. She will use anyone of them if it suits her purpose and not just against you, though you pose the most threat to her. Think on this before you make any decision and know that what ever you decide the blessing of the Elves goes with you.” Smiling he placed his hand atop her head and then after a slight nod he turned and left, leaving her to ponder his words.

Léspheria turned, hugging her arms close to her chest as she looked to the west thinking on Lord Celeborn’s kind counsel, but before she could come to a conclusive decision, she heard the sound of horses and looking down she saw several elven riders and among them a face she recognised, one not elven.

“Benia!” she whispered, but as the riders neared the house, she saw that they carried a wounded ranger, but not Amandur his hair was to dark. Quickly she lifted her herb satchel and hurried down stairs, passing the guards set at Vanwe and Menecin’s door. The riders pulled up at the door and she ran towards the wounded ranger, the elf carrying him gently lowered him into her arms. She quickly assessed his wounds and asked two of the elves to help carry him to the halls of healing.

“What happened to him?” she asked Benia as the woman hurried to the ranger’s side.

Dúlrain

Dulrain drifted in and out of consciousness his mind replaying events of his life, from his hard but life affirming child hood to the enigmatic experiences of his adolescence and beyond to the loss of his father and the anger and vengeance, which drove him into the mountains, to avenge his father death! Then his loss of Kaldir and the long years spent in hopeless search. The loss of the only family he knew at the hands of orcs had almost driven him into the darkest pits of despair, only his reluctance to believe that Kaldir could have fallen foul to orc had kept him going. He also remembered how when that hope had failed he had immersed himself in his work, so he had no time to dwell on the loss and his feelings of failure and helplessness. His memories then turned to his hunt for Naiore, the finding of Kaldir after so long believing him dead, killed at the hands of the orcs at Ravenfalls, the meeting of Mrs Banks and Benia Nightshade.

“Benia…”

He called her name in a moment of conscious thought. He felt her hand squeeze his but his eyes would not focus, but he did not need them for he could remember every contour of her exotic face. Her rich amber eyes that gleamed when she smiled and her dark braided hair he could even hear the gentle tinkling of her facial jewellery as they moved in the gentle summer breezes.

Slipping again into unconsciousness, his thoughts drifted to Kaldir and their journey through the down, ending in the question Kaldir had not answered ’Did he love her?’ He had asked the question already knowing in his heart the answer, but he had needed to hear it from Kaldir’s lips.

“Kaldir!” He cried out, again regaining consciousness.

“He loves her! She can never be mine!” he muttered between shallow breaths, no longer aware if he was conscious or not.

He felt cold and his body shivered violently, despair crept into his heart. If he could not hold her and let her know that he would protect her until the end of their days, professing his undying love, perhaps it would be better for all if he died here and now. For he could not deny his brother this chance of happiness. He saw how the woman affected Kaldir drawing out the poisons of Naiore, to reveal the ranger he once was. He loved them both and that love so deep and unyielding pulled at his heart.

Eleven words like song filled his head and he no longer heeded his pain and despair, the sound like calming waters soothed and calmed his restless mind, blanketing all conscious thought and letting him drift into pleasant dreams of golden glades and silver voices raised in light and merry song and laughter.