View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 07:19 PM   #22
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

My LotR has a scene from the animated film, with two Black (or should I say Brownish-Grey) Riders riding out from Bree (I think). But, since it is quite old now (1978), my wife bought the hardback edition with the Alan Lee Black Gate illustration to read, together with edition of the Hobbit which accompanies it (Smaug sitting on his treasure).

When I first read LotR, I had an old edition that had been in the family for some time. Unfortunately, I no longer have it, but, as I recall, the illustration on the front was a view along a road leading from pleasant, green lands in the forefront, to a dark mountainous land in the disatnce, presumably representing the journey to Mordor. Along the side of the road were twisted trees with goblinesque figures peeping out from them. I would love to know if this edition is still available, since I have not seen it since my copy was lost.

My original copy of The Hobbit was the one that Elanor mentioned, with the drawing of Smaug flying over Lake-Town, but, alas, that too is long gone. I now have a paperback edition in matt black with the red Smaug design and silver runes on the front.

As for the Simarillion, my copy is blue with the Silmaril design on the front. It too is quite old and I am planning on getting the matt black version with the smaller Silmaril design, to accompany my recently acquired Unfinished Tales, which is also matt black with a gloss design on the front.