View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #126
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Kórin

Kórin resolutely met Trór’s gaze, fuming with anger – he had called her naďve! She may be young but she wasn’t a fool… – and wondering why he had not yet thrown her out for expressing her opinions, as well. He had not refuted her accusation at all – obviously he could not. He had twisted the meaning of “treating his men as if they were children” to mean that he was their commander and so like their father. I said you were treating them as if they are children, not as your children…you blockheaded numbskull! Kórin thought. Either way, he was a bad parent.

She was dying to speak again, but Trór put an abrupt end to the council. Apparently he had abandoned his idea, at least for the most part. Kórin wondered, though, if fifty men was too large a band for simply a scouting party. She began to rise from her seat, wondering why she even bothered to return (not that she wasn’t happy to have seen Kénan call Trór a “blockheaded numbskull”), when Trór asked her to remain. She stood by her seat and waited, surprise suppressing most of her anger.

Perhaps for the first time since arriving at the council, Kórin really looked at this dwarf, considering him. She was surprised, again, to see a shining to his eyes, as if from forming tears, and she saw grief in his face. He looked haggard, and older than when she had first seen him just that day. She suddenly had no desire to speak or think any more ill of him.

Kórin listened with great interest as Trór seemed to speak to himself about the nobles and their “politics”. She supposed that was what she had glimpsed today, the workings of the leaders of Khazad-dűm. She wasn’t impressed either.

Once gain Kórin was caught off-guard, when Trór then addressed her and asked her about her ‘occupation’. And whether or not she was good with an axe? Well that, interestingly, was easier for her to answer. She hesitated before saying stiffly, “I am a…brewer. But,” she began to add with a smirk, “I believe I am better with an axe, or a mace, than at brewing ale, though my interest certainly lies in both.”

She no longer cared who this dwarf was or cared about what had just happened during the council. Kórin was interested.