View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 06:14 PM   #259
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yikes.... Maverickian Elora has struck again! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I should clarify something first, as this may well be the source of contention (polite contention as it is). Naiore did not go out and choose the nine Mortal Men. You're quite right in that Sauron was not the sort to share.

But in the Second Age, Sauron was on a con job. He had to appear nice. He couldn't be openly nasty (even though Galadriel and Gil-galad did not fall for the guise).

Naiore, with her keen empathy, would have been well placed in those days to observe Mortal Men, and detect those more open to approaches than others. She herself would not have been openly known to be what she was. Her true colours were not revealed to the Free Peoples until much later.

So, Naiore would only have been able to sense those susceptible to power, greed and lust for dominion. That's the limit I have placed on her role in selection: identifying likely targets. Of course, Sauron could have used Naiore in many ways.

For example, "Surely I can not be as grim and terrible as the lies say, for do I not have an High Elf in my service?" But that's a tale for another day. Certainly, it has intrigued me how Naiore would have interacted with the Wraiths in Mordor. Both were of rank, both would have been allies and enemies.

But that is another tale in how that would have gone, those factional struggles for power and dominion with Mordor. Sauron would have allowed that to a point as it kept his minions controllable - if they banded together, there is no telling what power structure they may challenge - even his own! Unthinkable - divide and conquer!

Yes, the power and political landscape of Mordor through the ages, and Sauron in particular through all 3 ages, has long interested me.

With that clarification now said, have I managed still to radically alter Sauron?

I'll delay Naiore's snatch and grab job until the following night. Thanks for letting me know about that! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] An Ent would call me positively hasty, and perhaps a little orcling too, but that's another story in and of itself! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight