View Single Post
Old 07-18-2004, 08:05 AM   #254
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Surinen

Once inside, Surinen realized with disapproval that Latah was alone in the tent with the two foreigners, and made a mental note to speak sternly to his cousin. She should be more mindful of her safety, for these were not only strangers to them, but also born out of a vastly different tradition. Who knew what customs the people of Gondor might practice, or how they might view their womenfolk. It would not do to find these things out, haphazardly. And Surinen did not feel it should be his cousin who discovered the differences.

In his displeasure Surinen quite forgot the bird that had followed him into his uncle’s tent, and striding briskly away from Sorona, he made straight for the young woman. Dusting off various plates and cups with a cloth as she removed them from a chest, Latah looked up smiling to see him standing before her. And Surinen, seeing Dinsűl’s familiar bowl on the table and looking into his cousin’s upturned face, lost all resolve, tempering his words so that he might not risk frightening her. “Latah, you should be more cautious,” he reminded her. “It is not right that you should be alone among these men.”

“But the whole village waits, listening outside the tent,” she said hurriedly resuming her work. “And there are guards at the door, Suri! What trouble should I find here, that they would not know of immediately? And besides, these men apparently have not caused Ráma concern, or she would have taken pains to lose them in the desert.”

“Even so you should be wary. We know nothing of them or their ways,” Surinen declared looking at the Gondorians with unmasked suspicion.

Latah also stole a glance at them once again, but her eyes betrayed no mistrust, showing rather concern for her father’s guests. “At the moment I would be glad to know simply if they would be opposed to having their food served by my hand. I would guess that they are not, though I am not certain.” Then glancing down to her belt, she showed him the knife that it held. “Look, one of them had Ráma’s dagger. How do you suppose it came to be in his possession?”

“I suppose she might have had cause to throw it at him,” Surinen said muttering under his breath. And then louder, “Which one was it that carried this?”

“The younger of the two.” Surinen regarded him more closely through narrowed eyes. “They say he is the first mate,” his cousin continued. “Let’s hope that the first mates of sailing ships don’t make a practice of stealing women’s knives, or you may never eat mutton again!” she laughed. But seeing that Surinen did not join her in her amusement, she sought to calm his misgivings. “Don’t you worry Suri, I can take care of myself.”

“Can you?” Surinen questioned, intending to point out her vulnerabilities, but at that moment a gasp drew his attention, and he saw Sorona with foot raised, showing it to the men of Gondor. Struck with embarrassment, his face burned as he thought how he had sought to restraint the eagle but a few moments before.

“What is the matter Suri?” Latah asked. “And who is it that talks to our guests?”

“Her name is Sorona, that much I know,” he said feeling self-conscious as he turned back to the young woman. “She alighted in our camp just outside this tent soon after we last spoke. She is maenwaith Latah, and speaks our tongue. I feel she might be one of our clan, but she has known great trouble in her time, and now lives out her days in this form.”

“Does anyone know she is here?”

“I suppose the elders have seen her, though no one of them came forward. In truth I think they didn’t realize she wasn’t one of us.”

“You must find my father and bring him here, Suri.”

“Only if you promise to be more prudent!” the outrider insisted.

“Yes, yes! Just hurry!”

But when Surinen started to leave he saw that the eagle had moved outside also, barely visible through the tent opening. Hurrying, he dashed to follow her thinking she might fly away. In the bright light he squinted, noticing that the ground outside was nearly empty, save for the two guards, one of whom was ready to follow Sorona. Signaling the guard that he would keep her in sight. Surinen called after the bird, “Where are you going?” She stopped allowing him to catch up.

“I must talk to Thorondil or prehaps the elders,” she said. “Would you tell me where they are to be found?”

“I don’t know who this Thorondil is, though I am curious to find out, but I am on my way to find one of the elders now if you wish to come with me.”

“Yes, you also would not know him as Thorondil now, but rather Aiwendil," the eagle sighed. "Then again, it seems he has had many names."

“And many friends other than eagles, but I suppose that is as good a sign as any,” Surinen said. “I will show you the place were he stays, though with no guarantee he will be there. He quite often is to be found with the Meldakher.”

After passing though the maze of tents, they came across an empty and blackened patch at the heart of the encampment, and bearing to the right a small tent with two lean-tos poised beside it. Surinen headed for the larger of these. And coming near it they found the old man and Rôg seated on cushions in its shade, a flagon resting between them. The old man’s bushy eyebrows rose expectantly, as they approached. Bowing slightly to him, Surinen addressed him respectfully. “I have brought to you a friend who has lately arrived in camp and wishes to speak with you, if you will.” Donning an expression that seemed as though he looked both inward and outward at once, Aiwendil shifted his glance from the wiry young man down to the bird that stood beside patiently beside him.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 07-22-2004 at 03:53 AM.