View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #10
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
And some of us just have our own 'hobby horses' to ride as we challenge each other back and forth about our ideas.
very true . Suppose I do not dare swim out into deep waters besides shallow pools of my interest, but I'm good at splashing in there where I can feel the ground under my toes

Not to stray off to personal self-analysis - to the benefit of the discussion to come, I remember in the past when it was done in the chat room, the preliminaries were made to find out how well (and in what way) the text itself was understood. Sharku was asking questions as to how well do we know meanings of rare words. Only after 15 minutes of such a warm-up the discussion proper took off. I can not tell the means of doing it on the board (as opposed to chatroom), but I liked idea at its time, maybe recalling it here may give someone an inspiration to come up with something

well...

edit: cross posted with the phantom here

The retelling of the plot is not a solution - it will make the initial posts a bit of a bore for those who do their homework well, and those who are lazy won't read it anyway
But that kind of quiz may work, you know. But only if combined with something more serious. You'd be drawing newbies in, but scaring old philosophy masticators away, for

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
some super long post dripping with psychology terms that ends up saying no more than the previous post.
Always says the same thing in a subtly different way. It seems like bringing oxygen back for some

So, the solution probably will be something in between - starting with simple quiz, and than let everybody say it in a way they like. After all, you are bored by some post, you skip it and go on.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 06-12-2004 at 11:47 AM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote