View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #687
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
"So lads, how was your day?", Stigend asked the two dirty and grim-looking boys as they came to the table with their bowls. Without a word or a glance they both started spooning their soups. It seemed neither of them was exactly willing to answer Stigend's question.

"Proper work makes a hungry man..." Garstan said in amusement and smiled to Stigend who nodded him back approvingly.

"But you know what? I can already write the letters A, D, E, F and G!" Leothern who was also sitting at the table declared full of pride. "And tomorrow I will learn a lot more!"

"Hush, Leothern!", Garstan turned to his daughter with a look that made her turn back to her own bowl.

The boys had spent their day at shepherd Ordulf's place just outside the town. He had asked for men to hire from the Mead Hall to help him with the shearing yesterday but lord Eodwine had then had to turn him back emptyhanded as the renovation was taking all the men in the Hall and there were no free hands to spare. So lord Eodwine had been most relieved when he had heard the plan of Garstan and Stigend this morning. He had been happy enough to actually give the men freedom to bargain a deal with Ordulf as they saw fit.

The fathers had taken the two somewhat resisting boys to Ordulf's place after breakfast. The old shepherd was delighted with his new, although unexperienced farmhands. He would have the boys for five days and learn them the trade. He was also given free hands with the discipline as long he would stay reasonable, and he should provide the boys with a lunch once a day. Garstan and Stigend were offering the labour for free but Ordulf insisted that the Mead Hall would get at least one lamb for it's help to him. He also suggested that if the boys would turn out handy helpers he would provide them with enough of their self-sheared wool to make two small winterjackets out of. The fathers had approved the deal and thanked the shepherd from his generosity and Old Ordulf begged the men to send his warm thanks to the lord of the Mead Hall.

The boys were back now after their first actual day of work in their life.

Neither seemed to be in too high spirits and they seemed to concentrate only in their eating. But soon their bowls were licked clean from every last drop in them and all the crumbs of bread had been picked by their little but dirty fingers. They clearly couldn't prolong it anymore.

"I'm tired dad... Can I go to sleep?", Cnebba asked his father looking straight into his eyes, now using his begging expression Stigend had always found so hard to resist. But here, in front of all the others he had to colden his heart and take a firmer stance.

"Well, you two tell us how your day went first. You may possibly have a bit lighter go with your evening studies today as it's your first day... I quess?", Stigend searched for any compassion or backing from Garstan's eyes, but wasn't too sure of his expression.

"Did the sheep stink as bad as you two do?", Leothern asked, attempting a purely curious tone in her voice.