View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 09:35 PM   #133
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had joined the Navy in 73; someone left a copy of THE HOBBIT out on a table. {Gear adrift}. Stargate alignment ,,,Hobbiton ,,, I was in ! Later that week while riding in a buddy`s car, Led Zepplin was in the eight track [remember those] and the words “darkest depths of Mordor I met a girl so fair” hit me square between the ears.Hey play that again!!!!! By the end of the night they were glad to get me out of the car.I was not invited to go out on liberty with them again. I was so excited!! I tried to explain my discovery to my friends. The best response I got was “Yaaaa maaan that’s cool”. My frustrations turned to anger .How can anyone not savor this geniuses offering. I would walk away muttering” Unread heathen infidel!, not fit to breath Eru’s air”. Many years and many readings have mellowed my temperament and it’s ok to say JRRT is not for everyone, but those of us who enjoy Tolkiens works, what a blessing! For years I begrudgingly accepted the fact that my enjoyment would be a solitary sojourn. {Funding issues, parental obligations, work etc}. The excitement is rekindled I have discovered brothers and sisters {in the word} so to speak!!!
I read The Hobbit to my children for a bedtime story. They don’t remember the story line but they tell me they remember the readings. We live on a small pond and on clear nights we would all pile into the row boat and head out the middle. I would tell the story of Feanor and the jewels, We would all see if we could find Vingilot with the Silmaril on Earendil`s brow ,then point out the great sickle and explain it’s ominous threat to Morgorth. Some nights Tilion would be sailing the heavens and of course that required a full explanation and discussion. I’ve been waiting for that dreadful phone call from the school astronomy department.

My youngest [17] finished ROK last night; It was a bittersweet event “I don’t want the story to be over”. I handed her a fresh copy of the SIL. My two oldest have read the trilogy while the oldest has the SIL under his belt.

After I read your post, Bethberry, [9/24] Want to give you a hug and tell you” you have my sword”. , Estelyn Telcontar, thank you for the welcome note and the directions, I do enjoy the thread, read through it several times. Hi Arwen Imladris !

Fair winds and following seas to all

Alquadae