View Single Post
Old 05-12-2002, 04:05 AM   #160
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Quote:
With another character, he was not even planned to appear, he wasn't supposed to BE there. But as I was writing, I just sort of frowned, and said "And...where did you come from?" But ah well, he's there to stay
I did the same with several of my characters. With one of them, I was talking to a friend and she said that I should have an archer in my story (she is obsessed with archery) The people in my story are peaceful, not aggressive, so I don't have archers and soldiers etc. so I had to create a new land just beyond where my people dwell. Then I made the people who lived in the new place aggressive, so that they could have archers for my friend. However, I now had to make them interact with the people I already had. So Then I had to create a main archer who would come down from that land and interact with the peaceful people. Then I thought - why would this person come down by themselves? - so I made another person.

Then some of my peaceful people had to find out about the aggressive ones so I had to create another character who was wise in the lore of these people, and all people, who could tell them, so through the demand for one archer, I had to create a whole race of people, and three quite important other parts. As that part hasn't finished yet I might still create more unplanned additions to the storyline!

Quote:
Another experience I had with developing two of my characters occurred during their first meeting. It came out that they were complete opposites, they argued about everything. From parchment, to spears, to other characters...I had to put them in seperate corners!!
The same with two of my characters - Tomar and Imila - they were meant to be friends, and support each other, but they just don't get on! Every little thing they disagree about! Oh well, my story writes itself, I have no control over it anymore, I am just a tool the characters use to make their story real.

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Quote:
Has anyone just gotten so SICK of a character that they just can't wait to kill him/her off? Or, they make as much bad things happen to them as possible?? I was just wondering, because I feel that way sometimes. Someone told me that means you really know your characters. Someone else told me that means you're letting your feelings get in the way of your writing. What do y'all think?
Yes. I got sick of Imila ranting and raving and going off in a strop all the time and making the hero, Tomar, feel bad. I have already decided to kill her off at the end of the story, or towards the end. She will die nobly though, she will sacrifice her life for the cause that they are fighting for. (notice I'm not giving too much away here!)

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.