View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
For me, the cinematic strength of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, as depicted on film, lies in its logical weakness. It is too structured to be truly credible as a battle – the key events of the battle occur in a particular, well-defined order, rather than chaotically as they would in reality.
I with you on all of that. The battle must have a 'story' so that the audience can follow what is going on. Peter Jackson had enough to do keeping four storylines afloat all at once without losing the audience.

Quote:
For example, the arrival of the Southron Mumakil is rather too conveniently timed to follow on from the charge of the Rohirrim. Where were they before? Why did they not arrive with the main force? Even Grond is quicker to the battle than them.
Gothmog called in his cavalry when the Rohirrim approached? Until then, they were down on the south end cooling their heels and daydreaming of giant peanuts. And, actually, the oli's weren't needed for sacking the city, and so Gothmog kept them out of the way. Pretty good for an orc chieftain.

Quote:
The arrival of the Riders brings new hope and Theoden’s address to them, followed by the charge itself and the scattering of the Orcish marauders, is incredibly stirring.
Probably the best moment of the battle, if not the movie.

Quote:
Now, while I can understand how individual scenes within the whole may give rise controversy (the Witch King’s confrontation with Gandalf and the strange, green, amorphous depiction of the Army of the Dead, for example), each marks a key event in the battle and creates a solid narrative structure which the audience can follow, and which brings real moments of tension and joy.
But there's even a thing as too much rollercoastering.

Quote:
And some of these moments are captured magnificently, for me, in the expressions on Theoden’s face, each time that he turns to face a fresh challenge – by turns despairing, resigned and determined. For my money, Bernard Hill’s performance really shines in these scenes and is one of the highlights of the battle. Despite, perhaps, a controversially negative introduction, he gives Thedoen a truly and suitably worthy end.
Bernhard Hill does really well, and I like him better than most of the other actors. His, "oh fooey, what next?!?" expression is well done. It's lke he's saying, with his face, well, here comes another wave, and so let's meet it as best we may, on our feet. Excellent. He was well-cast.

Quote:
My only real gripes...
You have gripes (plural) with the movie?!?

Quote:
and the inexplicable absence of the Easterlings.
Gothmog held them in reserve in the south east, across the Anduin, and Aragorn's green slime gets them before our new King arrives on the Pelennor Fields.