View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
In addition, I felt that the best (and most faithful) of the three was The Fellowship, and that it got progressively "less Tolkien" from there.
I agree with you about the Fellowship and even with all the changes done to ROTK, I can enjoy that one, but that's just because I like having stories feel completed. But the reason I haven't watched the films in so long is if I start them, I want to finish the trilogy. The beginning and ending I enjoy, but TTT is a massive road block. Even the EE scenes with the wonderful Boromir I can't get through because Denethor pops up in Osgiliath and puts a damper on everything. I can't find too many redeeming qualities in TTT and it gets in the way of my need to if I start the story, I want to finish.

Quote:
the overall trajectory doesn't bode well for The Hobbit--ESPECIALLY since The Hobbit, by being made into two movies, rather than one, looks likely to have a whole lot more fabrication/addition than the LotR movies.
Well there is certainly more artistic license that Jackson is probably going to enjoy. We'll see how it goes, because I'm still interested to see what he does with the White Council. And there will be other more close to the story parts that can be fantastic if filmed right. Like, how foreboding and creepy will he make Mirkwood and Dol Guldur? Beorn and Smaug are also big interests for me (I hope we get that clever dialogue between Smaug and Bilbo). Jackson is a pretty good director at conveying emotions when he wants to be. He's no Michael Bay.

Quote:
All that being said, however, perhaps the biggest difference is that for the LotR movies, I sat in line in a Canadian December to attend a first night showing. This time around, I'll probably make it to the second or third weekend... and apart from suggesting that I'm busier as an adult than a teenager, it also suggests that the movie adaptation simply doesn't matter to me anymore--in other words, I'll go out of curiosity to see what they've done with Tolkien's work and not out of fear that they'll destroy it. Now that I'm older and wiser, I don't really think they can.
I think I watched each of the LOTR films within the first week, I'm never a big go out opening day/premiere person. I'll usually only go to theaters for moves that I am 95% sure I'm going to love that first time watching, because theater prices irk me awfully. The only midnight, opening showing I can remember going to watch was Voyage of the Dawn Treader of all movies. It was horrible (I liked the other 2 Narnia films) but a sweet and cute lady asked me to go, and that was what suckered me in more than an "I MUST watch Dawn Treader!!!" feeling.