View Single Post
Old 02-12-2002, 03:27 PM   #77
Engwawathiel

Sting

I'm new at this, and I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but I couldn't resist adding my two cents. First of all, I would like say what an honor it is to get to watch those of you with more understanding of the books than I in action. I am very impressed with your posts. Lostgaeriel, your list was magnificent. I myself, had drawn some of the same parallels, but not to the extent that you had. Thanks for the insight. As for the main subject of this forum, I do not believe that lotr is an allegory in the slightest. I agree with the person who commented about it being more of a series of types. There are similarities there, but this was not merely just a retelling of the Bible. Also, I , as a Christian, see parallels that most people wouldn't see. I have the Bible as my background and as my basis for everything, and so I would naturally see parallels that someone who hasn't read the Bible would not. Just because I see them, doesn't mean they're there, but that is my personal opinion. I reserve the right to be wrong, but that is what I think.