View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 03:34 PM   #19
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Reading Tolkien's works you get the idea that their writer believed in God using his creatures for His greater purpose.

Quote:
But Ilúvatar knew that Men, being set amid the turmoils of the powers of the world, would stray often, and would not use their gifts in harmony; and he said: ''These too in their time shall find that all that they do redounds at the end only to the glory of my work.'
Also, in LOTR even the apparent mistakes that are made by characters who are innerently good turn out to be fortunate events. Take for instance Pippin's looking into the Palantir, or Barliman's delay in sending the letter to Frodo.

What's more, even dreadful things that happen (Gandalf's fall in Moria, Frodo's capture) serve only to ensure the quest's success, and all events and actions fall together like one giant puzzle, that completes the fool's hope that hangs by a thread.

Like Tolkien said in one of his minor works (Leaf by Niggle, I think): "Things could have been different but they couldn't have been better."

I think this is a very optimist view of the world and a profoundly Christian one. It implies hope and faith in your path in life, not excluding free will but holding on to the belief that someone will watch over you.