View Single Post
Old 08-31-2003, 09:56 PM   #61
FingolfintheBold
Haunting Spirit

FingolfintheBold has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FingolfintheBold
Sting

FDor one thing, while 20,000 would be an averageish size for such an army in the real world, ME is quite different. Armies throughout ME's history are smaller than what we are used to hearing of. Only 6,000 men rode to the Black Gate, and Sauron's force of 60,000 is described as being gigantic. All the muster of Gondolin was only 10,000, the Battle of Helm's Deep 2,000-3,000, Saruman's Uruk army 10,000.

SAo a force of 20,000 on Rohan's part would be an above average force. of course, all those soldiers could hardly be brought together to fight in border skirmishes. It would have been exceptionaly foolish and unconventional for Rohan to take all the soldiers of its rule and send them on to fight pillagers. Later in the Battle of Isen and such, more soldiers could certainly have been used, but were likely sent away or delayed by Wormtounge.