View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #170
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSpM
If, however, one is seeking to divine the "meaning" of LotR by reference to authorial intent, I would regard them as persuasive (to the extent that they do not conflict with other material) but, overall, insuffuficient to allow any firm conclusion to be drawn.
But that would mean to disregard also all of the other Tolkien's statement about myths, Art and Truth.
Quote:
It implies the existence of a Creator and thus bases the dicussion on a premise which not all accept.
Is there a single hallucinating author who pretends to have writing premises who all will accept?? If you are arguing for this, of if you are arguing from the _position_ of atheism, then our disscussion is at a deadpoint; continuing it would mean to talk about something else.
Quote:
Because it implies that those who do not percevie or accept such a connection have an inferior appreciation of the book.
According to Tolkien, the highest function of the myth is to bring us into the [Christian] Truth. Can this be achieved in the case of someone who is not actually Christian? I will ask again, beyond what Fall will such a myth take you? Is it possible that such a myth can lead you to a Truth and beyond a Fall that are both not Christian? Of what kind are they? And is there any other Artistic achievement which is superior to, nay, equal, such a function of myth? These are, to me, rethoric questions, but I will be delighted with such a discussion.
Quote:
You didn't provide any example of an orc being shown mercy.
Point taken; I will ask you in turn: can you provide a single example of an unnecessarily unkind act towards an orc?
Quote:
As I read that passage about Frodo, it seems to me that Tolkien is saying the Frodo failed, but that his failure was negated or absolved by divine mercy.
I disagree; the quote states that saying that Frodo failed is a sign of shallow judgement and one which is not in accordance with morality.
Quote:
as stated in the second passage you quote which, funnily enough, appears to contradict the first
I disagree again; the essence of both passages is that one (Frodo) should do the most one can.
Raynor is offline   Reply With Quote