View Single Post
Old 11-27-2002, 06:25 PM   #49
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Bird watched carefully as Pio confronted the stranger who had shown such interest in the oliphant-skin map. But the situation seemed to have resolved itself, with Mith stepping in to bestow a peace-offering of ale.

Birdie could not think why Pio had made such a fuss about the map. Perhaps she was missing something that the Elf perceived. It would not be the first time, thought Birdie.

But all thoughts of the map and its riddles were suddenly replaced by a most wonderous, delicious smell that had started to waft through the kitchen door. Everyone in the inn raised their heads and drew in a warm, satisfying sniff of the marvelous aroma.

Bird waved over one of the mysterious pot-boys employed by Rimbaud and asked "What wonderful dish is being prepared behind those doors? I have never smelled anything so scrumptious!" And the sudden growling of the skin-changer's stomach concurred with Bird's opinion.

"Ah!" said the servant with a smile, "a special dish is being prepared tonight. What you smell is the roasting flesh of the Meleagris gallopavo, a most wonderous, beautiful and wily bird, which dwells in the deep forests of the North Lands. It's head is naked and white, but it's body is clothed in feathers of black, bronze, red and gold. And the bird can spread it's wonderous tail into the shape of the rising sun, and walk with all the majesty of a King of Men."

"Seldom is this bird taken, for it is most cunning and secretive, but my Master, Rimbaud, has actually managed to procure a flock of these mysterious fowl, and is raising them in a secret location outside the city walls."

"Might I and my companions partake of this wonderful bird?" Birdie asked, with little hope, for it sounded as if a feast of this sort would be beyond their means.

"Of course!" cried the servant with a wink. "My master Rimbaud has prepared a banquet to celebrate the anniversary of the opening of his most successful inn "The Seventh Star", and all here are invited to celebrate with him, and share a feast of these most delicious roasted birds. There will be enough for all! Not just for today, but for many days to come."

"And for that we are all most thankful!" said Bird with a laugh. 'Bring us a bottle of your best Mirkwood Golden wine, and we will be happy to "honor" your birds with our company!"

"There is one thing you should know, before you eat of the flesh of the Meleagris gallopavo." said the servant with a mysterious air.

"What is that?"

"Whoever partakes of this bird will shortly fall into a deep slumber for at least one hour. But do not fear!" He said, seeing the look of dismay on Bird's face, "for you will have the most wonderous dreams while you sleep. And when you awake, all will be ready to feast on dessert!"

A Happy and Peaceful Thanksgiving to all my fellow Barrow-Downers around the World - Birdland

[ November 27, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]