View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #125
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Deren, with his three men and their prisoner, led the false lady out from the house. Up the walk, they saw Thornden and his men, and the large group of horses and men that Haleth had brought with him.

“Hollo!” Deren hailed when he was halfway to them. “I’ve found her and she seems to be quite well!” He looked at the woman by his side. A small blush had risen to her pale cheeks and a smile lingered around her lips.

Thornden turned when he heard the words. He came hurrying forward, anxious to see for himself whether the young woman was well. He stopped abruptly some yards before them. The expression on his face changed swiftly as he saw her.

“That is not Linduial,” he said, forgetting in his surprise to use ‘lady’ before the name.

“What!” cried Deren. He stepped away from the woman by his side and looked at her sharply. “You are not?”

“Confound it, man,” Thornden exclaimed. “That is not the lady, and if she told you she was before, she’s not likely to tell you the truth now! Who is that man there?” He nodded towards Osfrid.

“Someone we found inside the house. He ran off, went up the stairs and we stopped him before her room. That’s how we found her. He tried to keep us out, so we thought it was probably Linduial.”

“Did you search the entire house?” Thornden asked shortly.

Deren shook his head. “Most of it. But Captain Haleth’s men are going through the rest of it. Besides, I thought we had found the right lady, so we. . .didn’t finish.”

Thornden stood silently a moment, thinking, and biting the inside of his lip to keep from telling Deren how brainless he had been. It wasn’t actually the poor man’s fault, he considered. He shrugged and set his eyes on Deren again. “Very well. Take your prisoner and your rescued damsel to the horses. Make sure neither of them escape. Lord Eodwine will be returning soon. He will give you further orders. I am going inside to make sure the entire place is thoroughly searched.”