View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #135
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The tears had all been drained from the young dwarf’s eyes and the acceptance that Kuric was finally dead began to set in. He looked on the dwarf’s ghostly white face, it was old and bore the scars of age yet it was peaceful. He heard Orin’s screams of horror in the distance and a look of dread came over him. Gorin wanted to help the young man child, but the grief was too strong for him to leave Kuric’s body. He reached for Kuric’s mace and lifted it the best he could with his one arm, but Erling dashed off before Gorin could follow. Using the mace as a crutch he lifted himself up and tried to look as threatening as he could in hopes of scaring whatever enemy might be out there.

“Lad,” came the familiar voice of Kuric. At first Gorin was frightened, fearing that it was his friends spirit who was talking, but Kuric’s body moved and a faint hope stirred in Gorin.

“Kinsman, I’m here what is it you need.” he said, his deep voice almost cracking with emotion when Kuric did not notice him.

Kuric’s voice was weak, but firm as he spoke. Gorin stayed silent as he watched his friends mind slowly drift farther from him.

“I just hope I made a difference in Middle-earth.” Kuric’s last words where drawn out as his last breath left him.

“Kuric, brave Kuric, all that you have done here tonight will be told to your king. I swear that I shall return and build you a monument so that the story of your deeds will live on in the annals of men and dwarf long after you are gone. I shall do what you ask of me!”

Gorin clenched his great fist in frustration. He wanted to weep, but the tears had left him. He turned to Lea and Ash and then back to Kuric.

“Forgive me if I live you here for a while, but the night is not yet done and our foes are gathering again.” He then took Kuric’s cloak and folded it over his comrade the best he could.

The wind had picked up and the stars appeared again as Gorin walked to Ash and Lea’s side with Kuric’s mace as his new found weapon.

“You have saved my life, Lea. I will never forget you or you kin, I am indebted to you for life.” Gorin gently kissed Lea’s hand and repeated his oath in his own tongue.

“Tonight has been a strange one. By chance it was that I met your company, yet I think it was for the best so that Kuric may not die alone.” he looked back at cloak that covered his friend, “Alas, his was the most costly sacrifice that he could offer on the altar of justice.” Gorin fell silent retreating to his own thought, standing by the side of his new unlikely friends.