View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #136
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Parkun still cried for himself, but even through failing eyes blurred by tears, he was able to recognize the new figure that knelt beside him. It was Erling. Though they had never been close, he was one of the many constant figures in Parkun’s life. They both had grown up in Bree, and Erling was a regular face in the inn for many years.

They shared their hometown, but Kun thought they shared little else. He was never the good son like Erling, he was not the good citizen. He was the coward who did not fight for anyone’s sake but his own.

“Don't try to talk.” As if he knew what to say… Did Erling know the truth? Of course he must know that he was not at the battle, but…

“Don't worry. I'll stay with you. I...I'll see you through this.”

So kind, as if he truly cared. He must not know what Kun had done. But that did not comfort Kun. Did he want him to know? But how could he tell him? Why should he? What did it matter now? He was the one dying.

“I…I’m…” it was hard to say anything, but especially this.

“Sorry…”

Parkun suddenly felt lighter. It no longer felt like he was lying, a pile of flesh, on the hard ground. The air no longer seemed so heavy, the darkness felt peaceful – there were no more hungry eyes.

But he only had a few moments more before he felt less and less, before Erling’s face was swallowed by the darkness. He felt as if a great terror, a great nothingness was approaching him. He now realized what he should have been afraid of all along.

“No, no, no, no…” Kun cried. His cries were quickly cut off, and then his ragged breaths lasted for a minute or two longer before all was still.