View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 08:33 PM   #56
Mithuial
Animated Skeleton

Mithuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mithuial
Sting

Muse, I heard you mention that Aslan was Jesus to you in your childhood. I found it fascinating that someone else would share the same opinion that I had as a child. Aslan was my king, my friend; he was my Jesus, but even as young as I was I realized that a story is a story and is not real. I knew what fiction was, and it broke my heart to think that Aslan wasn't "real." My mother, who was very religious explained to me that Aslan was "real." I had been introduced to Jesus when I was tiny, but I never really made the connection of Jesus and Aslan until much later, when all was explained to me. This experience created a more personnel and real relationship with Jesus, as small as I was, that I may never have experienced had I not read the C. of Narnia. If Lewis were still alive I would write him a long thankyou note, and I thank God often for using the books to reach a little girl. There was a time when I outgrew Jesus a little, just as Susan outgrew Narnian and Aslan. I never fell away completely, but I was rather scornful of what I called "churchy stuff." Then I read the science fiction trilogy, and my eyes were opened a second time. It not long after, that I encountered LotR and again my faith was linked with someone else's through literature, and I was in awe. I find it so interesting all the ways God uses literature to speak to us. When I was in my "too old for this Jesus" faze I thought God only spoke through the Bible, so I suppose I avoided it as much as possible. I was terribly wrong. lol.

I heard someone say that many are moved by the Diary of Ann Frank and Night by Elie Weisel. I would find it interesting to hear what people think about a loving God (an Aslan, a Maleldil, Valar, Jesus etc.) existing in a world filled with so much pain. I don’t want you to get the wrong idea, because I listed Jesus among a group of fictional characters, because I personally believe that Jesus is real, but anyway, I know it doesn’t directly relate to Tolkien, and it’ll probably start some killer controversies, but I really want to hear some of your thoughts on this subject: How can God and Suffering co-exist?
May I open with one of my favorite quotes. C.S. Lewis said in The Problem of Pain, “God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains; it is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”
"And Maglor answered: 'If it be truly the Silmaril which we saw cast into the sea that rises again by the power of the Valar, then let us be glad; for its glory is seen now by many, and is yet secure from all evil.' Then the Elves looked up, and despaired no longer, but Morgoth was filled with doubt." -The Silmarillion.