View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 02:04 AM   #11
denethorthefirst
Haunting Spirit

denethorthefirst has just left Hobbiton.
The statement from Tolkien that Sauron claimed to be Morgoth returned in the Third Age always strikes me as odd. I have an idea what Tolkien maybe tried to accomplish here, that Sauron usurped his former Master, etc. But I dont think that it fits Saurons personality at all. Ever since the War of Wrath Sauron tried to be his OWN person, a ruler and god in his own right. Why would he abandon that all of a sudden in the Third Age, for no apparent reason? I do not think that his pride would have allowed him to play-act as another person, as if he himself is not good enough, not great and powerful enough for worship. After all, he has no reason in the Third Age to act in such a way, the political benefits must have been minimal. At the time of the Third Age Sauron has been, as Sauron, a God for the humans in the East and South for thousands of years, why the sudden change of his image and persona? I am not quite sure if that statement can be considered canon, i think it clashes with Saurons established personality and his modus operandi.
denethorthefirst is offline   Reply With Quote