View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #1763
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Wow, just last night my uncle was insisting that there were no such things as maps in America (or GPS, or anything) and that everyone relied entirely on verbal directions.
Ha ha! No, no, we have maps.

Though if he meant for local travel (within 50 miles) he might be right. I honestly can't recall the last time any of my friends or I used a map or GPS to go someplace around here. Even if it's a place some of us have never been, someone in the group has been there, and so they say- "Turn right when you see the Pizza Hut, then go to the second light and turn left, then the park is on your left." So yeah, verbal directions rule.

And actually those are the sort of directions I gave the Finns when they came to visit (no map links or anything, and I did not assume they were using a navigation system). So Mr. Uncle may also be right when it comes to meeting people somewhere. Basically the only time I or anyone I know uses maps is when one of us resolves to go somewhere unfamiliar and we aren't going there to meet anyone (because if we were meeting someone that person would have given us directions and we'd no longer have much of a use for a nav system or a map).