View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #1776
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Most Americans can't name more than 3 of our provinces or territories (and we have only 13). But most Canadians can name at least 30 of the 52 states (or more...my sister can name them all, along with their capitals).
I can, I can! I got seven (all provinces, not territories), and actually forgot some of the easy ones (British Columbia, anyone?). Most Americans, I suspect, can't actually do more than half (fewer?) of our state capitals. Though I'll confess to a couple things:

1) I'm a visual learner, so if I see something on a map, I remember it (versus if somebody tells me where something is, I won't; those at the Geneva Convention can testify that I'm useless with remembering what's said to me, but quite good at remembering what I've seen or done).

2) Contemporary art history was the most painfully boring class I ever had to take, and Nienna and I worked our way through many hours by listing states, capitals, countries, former countries, major bodies of water... We drew maps from memory (which was hilarious and a little traumatizing... where does Wyoming go again? And Estonia goes over there, right? Hold on, is that a country or a nickname? What are they calling the Congo these days?)

So we're a bit ahead of the curve, really, since we very intentionally learned geography just to pass the time.

Anyway, I've been meaning to post this:

The other night/morning I had a really elaborate dream about the Finns.

We were at The Airport (which seemed to be a conglomeration of several ideas of what an airport might be like, as opposed to being anything like a real one) and I really only knew it was an airport because there were a lot of awkwardly placed escalators and there were planes flying above us.

Near to a vendor of cheap touristy trinkets of dubious ethnic or regional interest was a table at which sat a woman in what looked like it might have been a sari, and a man with a vast beard.

Their job was to dye people's hair brilliant colors. Somehow they were affiliated with a carnival.

Greenie dyed her hair very bright blue. Aganzir's was many colors, and Lommy's hair was bright white. Nogrod looked on with amusement as Greenie convinced me that the special version of dye the couple at the table used would saturate just as vibrantly on my dark brown hair as it did on her bright blond tresses.

So I showered with a blue rinse to prepare my hair for the dyeing process, and when I came out of the airport shower (which was very dark and kind of sketchy), I put on a dress much like that of the lady at the table. Greenie pointed that my natural gold highlights were already looking very blue, and they hadn't even dyed my hair yet with the powder!

At this point I seem to remember seeing red powder (the dye) on Nog's hair, and wondering if it was going to stain his scalp.

Then we played on escalators (really long ones) and then I woke up.