View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #1777
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Finn Dream II: The Sequel

I was delighted to realize, in dream, that the reason I was sitting in the window seat of a large airplane was because I was on my way to Finland.

Kath was seated next to me, since we were on the leg of the journey that would take us from England to Norway.

Now, it apparently is true that airplanes work a bit like rollercoasters, in that they get their momentum by going really fast up and down rickety tracks before taking off.

As it would turn out, we didn't get up to speed properly prior to the part where the tracks end and the plane is supposed to shoot upward toward the sky.

We ended up afloat in the Atlantic, which I sort of thought was the Hudson River at the time.

Wondering if I should take action and save the good people of the sinking plane, I started fumbling with the oxygen masks that were taped to the windows, wondering how to turn the seats into flotation devices. I was worried about my camera, since water was fast filling the plane and we were all still strapped down with our seatbelts, and I was pretty sure Kath's camera was already waterlogged since she'd stowed her carry-on under the seat.

Finally a flight attendant came onto the plane from a side door and told us that we weren't going to sink any more, but to please put on the masks and it would all be fine.

While the airline folk worked on getting the water off the plane, my college painting professor ordered a guy that graduated from college the year I started to go on a mission to find food. I asked if I could go with him, and was told no.

I discovered that my professor had a studio in Norway where he'd been dabbling in ceramics.

On the plane again, I tried to send out a mass text message saying, "I'm in Norway!" but my phone wouldn't work on that side of the ocean.

Kath's wouldn't either. I dozed off then, because it seemed there wasn't much else to do.

When I woke up, we were speeding through the Norwegian landscape, which looked shockingly similar to upstate NY but which was only about 65 degrees, which I found very pleasant, since I like cooler weather. I was a bit surprised to see that most of the signs on shops were written in English. This seemed a bit... odd.

Before I knew it, we were at Nogrod's apartment, which was a fascinating second story place with cool architecture. One of the floors was sunken, and the chairs were made to accommodate the slanting. Agan, Lommy, and Greenie were all there, of course, as were Mira, Nienna, and Lari. And Kath, clearly, who I'd arrived with. Also joining us was a girl that Ni and I lived with as sophomores in college; since that rooming relationship had gone sour and we hadn't talked to her since, it was downright awkward for the girl to be there demanding our attention when we wanted to devote it all to our wonderful Finns!

For a while we were outside frolicking on a hillside and we were all showing off our shapeshifter abilities. Lommy turns into a penguin. I turned into a German Shepherd, but that was only because I liked the shape; I could have turned into other things.

When Nog arrived (he'd run to the store), I nuzzled him in dog form, attempting to ask him what animal he was capable of turning into. I thought possibly a grizzly bear, but he's too nice!

We all transformed back into our human selves, and I took an unintentional nap on the hill side, waking up to find that everyone had gone inside to find food. When I got inside, I found a note saying they'd gone to the masquerade at the thrift store, and that I should meet them there.

I tried to find the ingredients to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but there were only pieces of eerily flattened bread, and mint jelly, and the peanut butter container had bars of chocolate in it instead of peanut butter.

Finally I found a very small container labeled, "Kath's pound of peanut butter" which struck me as very odd, since she's allergic. Nevertheless, I decided that since she was allergic, she wouldn't miss it, and I made myself a sandwich and then found Nog!

He'd come home to find me, and, excitedly, I asked him, "If we could all turn into animals at will, what do you think we would turn into?"

I wish I could remember the rest of that conversation.

Eventually we managed to all meet back up, and everything was quite lovely.

The end.