View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
IxnaY AintsaY
Haunting Spirit

IxnaY AintsaY has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Vanity, or the need to prove, more to himself, that he has complete control over his land and his minions. Loathing of any unspoiled thing or creature, especially within his power. How can he be the Great and Powerful Sauron, the First of His Name, if Eru's flies still thrive on his Orc-dung? I'm joking here, but I think he would have found it unacceptable to leave a single pebble, let alone a living creature, in its pure and clean form. It would have irked him endlessly - he'd feel he doesn't have true dominance and control over it until as little as possible of its original essence remains.
If so he seems to have been able to modulate or defer this compulsion; e.g., the land around the Sea of Nurnen, that was fertile enough to feed his armies, and fair enough for Aragorn to gift to the former slaves there after the War of the Ring.*

But I'm not convinced all of his corruptions were intentional.

* ("You're free now! But hey, why don't you stay and cultivate this blasted wasteland, to which I'm sure you've grown very attached.")
From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold.

Last edited by IxnaY AintsaY; 07-31-2016 at 11:52 AM.
IxnaY AintsaY is offline   Reply With Quote