View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #75
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The style of language used in RotK is rather high-flown, but we must remember exactly what is happening here. These are grand events, world changing events which are witnessed by many, unlike the other world changing events (e.g. at Mount Doom) which are witnessed by few. Accordingly, Tolkien changed his style slightly here to fit in with such monumental events.

About Eomer's words, I don't find them so strange considering the lengthy verse recited as Boromir's body is sent off down the Anduin; it could be possible that there were established ways of orally reciting laments in Middle Earth. This idea was discussed in one of the CbC threads. Also, in a martial culture such as that of the Rohirrim, composing a few grand lines on the death of a comrade would be quite a common occurrence, and after the death of a King, I wouldn't doubt that solemn lines would come from Eomer quite readily.

If we consider that there is also the conceit of the whole tale being taken from the Red Book, as written down by Frodo, then these events are all written down as second hand. Frodo would have taken the accounts from other people, and as is common after such events, hyperbole would have been used to the full. There is further evidence to support this if we also think about how the style reverts to the earlier mode when the tale follows the Hobbits back to The Shire. The style during the scenes in and around Minas Tirith necessarily steps up a gear to reflect the importance of the events taking place, and reverts when we are once again with the Hobbits. I do not find this intrusive, in fact I would never have noticed it before it was mentioned to me, as it fits with the pace of the story.