View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
So to finally get around to answering the question, I think orcs might be able to integrate into human society because they were more or less "human" to begin with.~Kuru
Quote:
Professor Tolkien certainly seems to have thought, in my reading at least, that in the Ages leading to the modern day there came to be little, if anything, to differentiate Orcs from Men in many places and situations. In saying this I also mean to propose that this would not be a quick process; I scarcely think you would see Orcs mingling in the societies of Men during Aragorn's reign, but very slowly and gradually in the centuries that followed, perhaps.~Zigur
I agree, and certainly by WWII in a letter to Christopher, Tolkien writes there were "Orcs on both sides."

It could be argued that the beginning of the integration begins with Saruman's breeding of Men and Orcs. I don't think it's a coincidence, that the Men guarding Isengard's gates are described as resembling an Orcish appearance. I don't think this integration is meant to be a positive thing though. I mean, just as there will always be the "Saurons" of the world, to a lesser degree, people who seek power control everyone else, there will always be a healthy population of Orcs serving the "big bosses."

And all this gets you wondering about Orc-women, as Tolkien says there must have been. After the destruction of the Ring, what happened to them?