Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #257
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Quote:
Well, I think that it is partly a consequence of the “sacred text” issue – the books (or particular characters or scenes) are just too important to some people for them to be comfortable with the changes that were made.
I'd say that's most likely the circumstances. I think it also takes a bit of time. When I first saw TTT in the theatre, I'm like elves at Helm's Deep? Faramir taking the ring to Osgiliath? Gah!!!! Then after watching the director's commentaries, and rewatching the movies, again, and again, I've learned to come to terms with those changes, and realize "heck, it's not so bad." Same instance when first watching ROTK. The way they portrayed Denethor and the Green Slime both got me irked. I've come to terms about Denethor, since it would be time consuming to show before his mind was broken, and it dramaticized Aragorn's return, I'm ok with Denethor looking crappy. Some things just take time, and reviewing to sort of come to your senses and cool down. (I'm sure the screaming Orli fans were a big contribution to my hot-temperedness in the first viewing of the films).

Quote:
A very large percentage of us would never have come to the Downs,
I must say mark, I wouldn't even be here at the downs. I probably wouldn't have picked up Tolkien's book ever again, or bought the Sil, or the Hobbit. The movies got me back into the mood. I had read the books long before, sure it was good, but it was something that I forgot. Then after watching FOTR in the theatres, I got to rereading, and rereading...and um...rereading, and now I admit, I'm just another nut. I thank Jackson for bringing back the "Middle-earth" spirit in me, and opening Tolkien's world to a wide range of people who never heard of Tolkien before the movies.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote