View Single Post
Old 11-21-2002, 03:07 PM   #11
Anarion
Animated Skeleton

Anarion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Been seeing this debate all over Tolkien sites for quite a while.
One thing like to suggest: perhaps there's confusion in terminology.
Allegory(which Tolkien reportedly spurned) means: a story in which people, things and events have a SYMBOLIC meaning, often instructive.
If it is true that Tolkien forswore this, it makes perfect sense to me, as I don't see that there is much Symbolic about LOTR or Silmarillion.
Now we have a similar Term: ANALOGY. Which means similarity in some ways.
If Tolkien intended his work as Analogous, this would make much sense to me, as I see that there are many Similarities between his books and the Bible, in it's ENTIRETY. Not just the 'Christian' part. The Bible, considered as a whole, represents what is known as the Judeo-Christian tradition. Personally, I see more similarities between Tolkien's works and the OLD Testament, as opposed to the Christian part(New Testament).
In an earlier thread, a member posed the question: is Gandalf Jesus? moderators closed the discussion.
I'd like to suggest that if there is a similarity between Gandalf and some Biblical character, it is the Judaic hero Moses, who Led his people to Freedom through great adversity.
The Tolkien character who RESEMBLES Jesus Christ is Beren(in The Silmarillion), because he is the only man in Tolkien's creation who survives death(as did Christ).
I wish the controversy of this whole subject could finally be cleared, because it annoys people who don't have an affinity for Scripture, while those who do are hurt when others become impatient when the subject is broached.
The combined effect of this creates a division amongst people who Love Tolkien, which is what(whom) the sites consist of.
Really, I feel it is brought about largely by a confusion of terms which is possible to handle simply enough before people become impatient, offended, confused or ultimately disinterested.
Love and best wishes to all Tolkien fans, Sacred and Secular, both!!