View Single Post
Old 01-26-2003, 06:30 AM   #257
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

“I see we suffer together then,”

He said, softly, so as not to bring more pain to Pio’s head as was necessary. He watched as she searched for a powder to dampen the pain. He winced slightly as he readjusted his position on the couch. She sat opposite him, watching him pick at the food.

“Not meaning any disrespect to your excellent food,” he said suddenly, “but I really can not eat at this time.”

He closed his eyes, trying to recall all events that had occurred since his departure. Then he fixed Pio with a clear gaze, and took a deep breath.

“You ask much of events that should take long to speak of. I suppose by your question of what happened to me you are referring to this,”

Here, he paused, gesturing to the wound on his inside arm, just above the elbow.

“I was clumsy. Fighting alone is a dangerous business. Fighting alone against large numbers is even more so. I avoid it. I do not seek glory, nor do I wish for recognition. By nature I would prefer to shoot down an enemy and remain hidden. But, as I said, I was clumsy.”

He sighed, and then looked around again. Not seeing anything, he continued his story.

“I was ambushed by Orcs. The wild is a treacherous place to wander and I was tired. I had ridden far and was in search of somewhere to rest myself, and my steed. And then they were upon me. I know not how it happened, for I should have heard them long before they sensed me. I fought, then ran.”

He looked away, bitterly. The pain of having to turn and run was setting in again.

“What I was doing there anyway,” he began, “what I was doing. It doesn’t matter. It is not of importance, and I feel not like speaking of it.”

He looked as though there was more to say on the subject, but he turned away again, letting the words fade from his lips in the hope that they could also fade from his memory. In the warmth and safety of the inn it was hard to believe that any of it was true. It was all a far off dream, like those he had been having of late.

“And you ask why I returned to your inn.” He paused, deep in thought. “I suppose it seemed a safe place to turn. There are many who walk these lands that I should not wish to encounter; not as I am at any rate. The Shire used to strike me as a retreat from the rush of life, but things are not so peaceful anymore. I supposed it is those like me, those who come in need of healing, who disturb your peace more than anything. And for that I apologise.”

He looked around again, still searching.

“Might I ask, where is my sword? It is of great value to me, and I should much like to know where it is.”