View Single Post
Old 01-26-2003, 01:37 PM   #263
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie didn't answer immediately, but began to hum again, the same song as before. It was a very sad song, though Rie could make it reflect her own mood. When she had first sung it in front of Don, it sounded almost happy, at the least resigned in a contented fashion, "this is how things are"--now, it sounded lonely and a little nostalgic. In truth, in its intent, it was a song of longing.

Rie looked at Don. "Why did I leave?" she echoed. Don nodded. "Well, I left because I wasn't thinking, above all else. At the time I told myself that I left to find a new life. See, I wanted--want--to fight, like my brothers and father, all Rangers or Rangers-in-training. But they wouldn't allow it, and so I ran away. I've regretted it since, though I don't think I want to go back. I've seen too much of the world to go back to my mother's forge, I guess, and leave it all behind me. No, I've already agreed, like it or not, to have my share of adventures.

"Now, as to why I can't go back." Here she sighed. "Zâira nênud! The longing is on us! It was on me, and I left my house, a note on my bed saying that I would come back only once I had done something to make my father proud of me. I haven't done anything yet. One thing my father taught me is never to make a promise I can't keep. And I made a promise, Don. I made a promise. I wasn't thinking about it, but nevertheless I did it. So I guess that if I don't find myself an adventure, I'll never be able to go back." She cocked her head back and stared up at the sky for a moment. "But you know what, Don?" she asked, not looking back down. "I think I'm okay with that. I've always wanted to have sisters. Now I can, can't I?"