View Single Post
Old 10-20-2003, 09:55 AM   #181
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maedlyn heard the excited laughter of her daughter, punctuated by a lower, smoother voice, as it got closer to the house. Bethberry must have arrived. She smiled to herself. Bethberry was one of the few adults she knew who would engage Lathyn in something approaching adult conversation, something she knew the girl appreciated.

Putting a hand on her abdomen, Maedlyn turned in her chair to survey the small house. The living area, which was really just an extention of the kitchen, was neat and tidy. She had, herself, gotten up to clean the higher reaches of the room when she knew for certain that Bethberry was coming. Aldhelm had offered, but was hopeless with cleaning, since he was surrounded by dust all day and didn't seem to see it anymore. The kitchen area itself, where she sat now, was, perhaps, a trifle too warm, but cheery and bright with windows overlooking the river.

Through the heavy oaken furniture of the living area, Maedlyn could see directly into the two bedrooms. The doors to both bedrooms stood open as usual, and, pushing back the chair a bit, Maedlyn was able to see that her daughter had put her favorite multicolored quilt on the foot of her small bed. A welcoming gesture for the guest, who would be staying there. Lathyn herself would be sleeping with her parents for the duration of the visit.

Meadlyn knew that the house was humble compared to Bethberry's normal surroundings. It was well made and had more windows than most regular farmhouses, but was not much compared to the White Horse or the lovely houses in Edoras. Still, Maedlyn was pleased with the way the house looked when neat and ready for a guest. She was less happy with her own appearance, and knew that she looked ungainly and heavy with the last stages of pregnancy. Still, she had done her best with comb and dress to make herself presentable and realised there was nothing she could do about the rest. She was as ready as she could be for her guest.

Just at that moment two things happened. The baby made its presence known again with a movement and another low pain in Maedlyn's back, and the door to the house swung open, admitting Lathyn and Bethberry. Maedlyn smiled warmly at them as they entered, but gasped slightly at the pain before speaking.

"Bethberry, my friend, it is wonderful to see you again. Welcome, welcome. Are you weary after your ride?"

"I am not weary, but I would gladly sit with you. Lathyn was just showing me her bounty of flowers. They would look well on the table."

Maedlyn nodded to Lathyn, who chose a glass to display the flowers in. The girl could not reach the vase and saw nothing wrong with using a drinking glass, which brought a smile to both women's faces as Bethberry took a seat at the table.

"They are lovely flowers, Lathyn," her mother began. "Would you like to offer Miss Bethberry a drink?"

Confident that her daughter could handle to social niceties for the moment, Maedlyn let her mind wander to the pain fluttering in her back. She pressed her hand to the ache to relieve the pressure and saw that her guest was watching her.

"So soon?" Bethberry inquired with raised eyebrows.

"Not soon enough," she laughed. "This is just a little warning. Still, I would think that before the end of the day, Deol will ride to town for Lairwyn."

She hoped her nervousness would not be too apparent, but could see that Bethberry, always perceptive, could sense her mixed feelings. She put down her knitting and reached across the table to lay her hand across her friend's.

"I am glad you're here!"

[ October 20, 2003: Message edited by: The X Phial ]