Thread: Why save them?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I very much agree with Child; the tragedy of Frodo's and Sam's death would have taken importance from the fading of the Elves and the magic -tragedy. If there are too many big tragedies in a book, they have no impact on the reader anymore.

Kath, you mention bittersweetness. I have always considered it one of the most bittersweet - or bitter - things in LotR that though Frodo is the one who saves the world - and the Shire, he can't stay there, in the land he loves. This tragedy wouldn't exist, if Frodo and Sam died in Mt. Doom.

One aspect is that in old tales (and in Christian faith) good is rewarded and evil punished. How could such a good and loyal person as Sam face his end in a hope-forsaken, bitter place for co-saving the world, though he craves to see his home and sweetheart and old father again?
Now one might ask that wasn't Théoden a good man too, who shouldn't have died in case good is rewarded and evil punished. The matter is different with Théoden. He was an old man who was ready to die and saw his end, but still rode to it. He was a brave man, and he rests in peace.

Or maybe Tolkien simply loved happy endings...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote