View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #93
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
Very well said, I haven't really thought about how both Gandalf and Saruman would obviously have very different opinions on Radagast. And the truth lies somewhere in between.

Of course, we may read the term 'worthy' differently to Gandalf. To him, a worthy wizard might simply mean one who acts with the best intentions or uses his skill in a kindly way. While 'worthy' to a modern reader may mean something very different - I've heard it used in reference to people high up in society's hierarchy as well as in reference to great humanitarians, neither of which would fit with Radagast, in either film or books.
I also liked Boro's view on PJ's Radagast. He is rather different from the wizard in the LoTR but there he makes such a brief appearance that I don't really mind an 'invented' wizard for The Hobbit. In the movie he is so strange that it is difficult to take him seriously, however, Gandalf treats him with respect and is quite right. That mirrors the situation of Bilbo himself - dwarves don't see him worthy but Gandalf can see why they might need him.
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote