Thread: Why save them?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #24
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I rediscovered this thread looking for something else and thought I would bump it up partly because IMO it is worth a read and partly because since A Game of Thrones has come to prominence I have read comments implying that Martin is superior because he isn't afraid to kill off major characters. Now I can't judge that as I haven't got around to readin ASOIAF yet but this old thread does illustrate that Tolkien's choices are far more complex than mere squeamishness.
Tolkien has never been afraid to kill his characters, but the LOTR has always been told from a Hobbit POV, which is one of the great failings of the film.

Frodo and Sam are everyday men, Frodo richer than most, but get caught up in a traumatic experience for the Common Good. Frodo is pushed to his very limits and ultimately he breaks under pressure that is too great for him to handle. Effectively Frodo can never return back to what he was. It's a very sad and bittersweet ending that Frodo can never truly recover in this world after all he gave.

Sam on the other hand is the traditional and 'lucky' hero. His experiences whilst absolutely awful are do not completely destroy him. It leaves a stain that he cannot heal, but he can at least get on with a normal life. He marries the girl and has a happy family life.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote