View Single Post
Old 02-22-2003, 04:09 AM   #45
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It was true; Piosenniel had smiled when first Bilbo took up his duties as gracious host. But now a niggling suspicion was growing in the back of her mind, that perhaps he should be a little less obliging. The party was only three hours away, and an inkling of trouble tickled at the corners of her mind. What was to have been a small lunch had somehow extended itself for several hours into a long discussion of Shire history, punctuated by toasts to the local heroes of note. And it was a long, long list for Bilbo had a long memory.

Pio watched from the kitchen doorway, her eyebrows raised, as mugs were filled again for a toast to those most excellent of Fallohides, the brothers, Marcho and Blanco, who founded the Shire in the mid Third Age. She motioned for Cami, who was bustling about the kitchen giving last minute instructions to the cooks and servers, to come near.

‘Best you keep a close eye on them.’ she warned Cami, with a nod of her head toward the party in the garden. ‘I have to get dressed and get the pony hitched to the cart. I promised Amaranthas I would be there promptly at five, and it’s going on four now.’

Pio ran to her rooms and pulled from her closet a long silken dress with trailing sleeves. One of the surprises she had found packed in her trunk by Idril when she had reached Minas Anor. Just a parting reminder from her to act a little more Elf-like. It would certainly do for the party tonight. Deep azure, like the waters off Tol Meneltarma, with a lighter blue sheer overdress shot with silvered threads. She pulled it over her head, and straightened the flow of it round her, then rustled about beneath her bed for her soft, low cut blue leather shoes. A few swipes at her hair with the brush, the silver fillet in place above her brow, and she was ready.

She dared a glance in the looking glass, turning this way and that to get the full effect. ‘Great Stars!’ she said laughing. ‘I look like a tidal wave on two legs!’

Remembering to pick up her dress as she raced down the stairs, Pio waved good-bye to Cami, and ran to the stables. Hob was just finishing harnessing the pony to the cart as she arrived. ‘Thank you!’ she called to him, pleased not to have to do the job herself. He turned to tell her it had been no problem, and her presence took his breath away.

He blushed and stammered out, ‘Mistress Piosenniel, you’re, you’re . . . well . . . beautiful!

Taking the reins from him, she smiled and kissed him on the cheek, leaving him staring, open-mouthed in the stable yard as she drove off. ‘Must be the dress.’ she thought to herself, as she flicked the reins lightly on the pony’s back.

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]