View Single Post
Old 02-22-2003, 10:37 AM   #48
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As Piosenniel had suggested, Cami slipped out to the garden to check on Bilbo and the others who were gathered around the table enjoying a leisurely lunch. She wasn't quite sure how it happened, but she soon found herself seated between Bilbo and Lorien, laughing and enjoying the companionship of friends.

Lorien seemed much less intimidating to Cami than when she'd first met him. He had helped himself to generous portions of several dishes, and refilled his flagon with honeyed mead any number of times, while joining in the toasts and listening spellbound to Bilbo's recital of hobbit deeds.

It was some time later before Cami remembered what Piosenniel had originally asked her to do. She tugged urgently at Frodo's sleeve and whispered, "The party will start in just a few hours. Perhaps, you'd like to retire to your chamber to take a brief rest and change clothes. We may be up late."

Frodo nodded in agreement, and this time Bilbo did not object. Lorien said his goodbyes to the pair, and followed Ruby who had come out to the garden to show him to his chamber. Bilbo went over to retrieve his cane, then smiled at Cami and added, "I expect you'll need a minute to get ready and put on your party dress. We'll meet again later this evening."

Cami shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "I'll certainly see you later. But I'll be too busy to worry about a party dress. I should have been working this afternoon instead of sitting at this table and enjoying myself, so I'll need to get busy now. Anyways, I'll just tie an apron over my skirt, and that will be fine. I expect to be helping the servers for most of the evening, and fancy clothes would only get in the way." Then she scurried away in the direction of the kitchen.

Bilbo leaned over to Frodo and whispered something in his ear. The two nodded their head in agreement, and went inside searching for Piosenniel. When the Innkeeper noticed them looking about the corridors, she inquired if she could help and went on to explain that Pio had gone out with the pony cart to fetch someone for the party and was not expected to return for some time.

Bilbo fixed an eye on Frodo. "Piosenniel isn't here. That leaves things up to us. Cami came here the same way we did. All she has are the clothes on her back. I expect Pio has found her an extra skirt or blouse to wear when she's helping in the Inn. I doubt the women have had time to think about party clothes, with all the preparations they've been doing in the past few days. And it's not only the party I'm thinking about..." Bilbo's words trailed off, leaving his thoughts unfinished.

"But what can we do?" Frodo queried. "We haven't any money with us, or anything we could barter."

"Perhaps not, but I suspect there are a few things of ours still lying around in odd corners of the Shire."

Frodo's eyes widened as the meaning of Bilbo's words sank in. "The wardrobe?"

Bilbo nodded, "Yes, I expect it's still there even after all these years. Now, let's get to work. Could you get me some vellum and a pen from the common room? Then see if you can hire a messenger willing to ride to Hobbiton and back as quickly as possible. I don't expect that Pio will object if we charge that expense to our Inn bill." Bilbo smiled at that, since neither he nor Frodo had even a single penny to pay for their accomodations or meals, but were relying on the generosity of their hosts.

By the time Frodo returned with the supplies, Bilbo was already seated at one of the tables and was already composing the two notes in his head.

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]